So I collided two very good Tomato Soup recipes and made my own! This is what I ate for lunch today. It wasn't all that bad. Add a grilled cheese sandwich and I was good to go.
The first of this recipe I borrowed from the blog Top Of The Morning. The post was Tomato Soup Nazi. His recipe is for a can of diced tomatoes. I used a quart of fresh home canned whole tomatoes. Canned last summer. YUMMY! And to that I added a can of diced carrots. Mainly to hide that acidic tomatoey thing that happens sometimes. Back to the recipe. Heat your oven to 450 degrees and grab a large cookie sheet. Open your tomatoes and carrots and drain the liquid into a separate dish. Pour the toms and carrots onto the baking sheet. Drizzle some Olive Oil over top, and sprinkle with pepper and oregano. Put in oven to caramelize for 20 minutes (more or less depending on factors like altitude, patience, how much the toms were cooked originally.) When they come out they should look about like this:
While your toms and carrots are cooking, add the liquid that you poured into that separate pan to a large soup/stew pot and add some minced onion. Or you could use real onions, but I didn't have any. Cook those up nice, or however you'd like to I guess! Here's a pic of mine.

Ah, here's a pic of ALL the major ingredients. I'll get to the Campbell's Tomato Soup in a minute.
After you're toms and carrots are cooked, add them to the onion mixture. Be careful, they are hot and that oil is tricky and slick! Add the can of Tomato Soup (this part and the quart of toms- comes from my mother's homemade tomato soup recipe). Stir in, heat through. Add oregano to your desired taste. I used some Real Salt. Cause that is yummy.
Then while your soup is boiling for 5-10 minutes on the stove, hurry and whip up some grilled cheese sandwiches. If you need instructions.
Asking me for them wouldn't be good as I usually burn at least one of them. Each time. And don't forget to stir your soup occasionally.
Looks pretty dang good. I ate it. Elise hates most anything I cook.
So it is a good thing this didn't make much!!
I hope you, or someone enjoys these crazy recipes I put on here. I guess it is a way of making my life seem less monotonous and a lot more yummy!
The first of this recipe I borrowed from the blog Top Of The Morning. The post was Tomato Soup Nazi. His recipe is for a can of diced tomatoes. I used a quart of fresh home canned whole tomatoes. Canned last summer. YUMMY! And to that I added a can of diced carrots. Mainly to hide that acidic tomatoey thing that happens sometimes. Back to the recipe. Heat your oven to 450 degrees and grab a large cookie sheet. Open your tomatoes and carrots and drain the liquid into a separate dish. Pour the toms and carrots onto the baking sheet. Drizzle some Olive Oil over top, and sprinkle with pepper and oregano. Put in oven to caramelize for 20 minutes (more or less depending on factors like altitude, patience, how much the toms were cooked originally.) When they come out they should look about like this:
Ah, here's a pic of ALL the major ingredients. I'll get to the Campbell's Tomato Soup in a minute.
Asking me for them wouldn't be good as I usually burn at least one of them. Each time. And don't forget to stir your soup occasionally.
So it is a good thing this didn't make much!!
I hope you, or someone enjoys these crazy recipes I put on here. I guess it is a way of making my life seem less monotonous and a lot more yummy!
1 comment:
Ooh, I love this post. The pictures are gorgeous! What a fun recipe - I will have to try it... but sadly, I don't have any homegrown, home canned tomatoes, so I will have to settle for the canned stuff. Someday I want to learn how to can vegetables. Freezer jam is about the extent of my domestic goddess preserving expertise. :)
Post a Comment